6/30/2008

So I haven't had one free minute to get back to updating the blog. Many of you have asked for me to update with some recent pictures of Shelbie and some have asked about my story. Thanks to Dave who kindly gave only a brief explanation of what happened that night I now can tell the story. So when you have been induced with two of your four and been on petocin (?) with 3 and had an epidural with three you really don't know what true contractions feel like at least that was the situation in my case. Friday morning I woke up and went about my day noticing that I was having contractions all day long and them seemed to be getting rather regular, but I wasn't sure how far apart until I was making dinner and started timing them to realize they were 7 minutes apart and I was having a hard time standing through them, but they were manageable. I told Dave I was going to go upstairs and lay down, which I did and I called my doctor to ask him how far apart these needed to be before I went to the hospital (side note - we didn't want to go and be turned back to home). He response was its not so much how far apart they are as it is in intesity of them. Well Ok, so when it to much, let me put it this way don't wait as long as I did thinking and hoping your water breaks because than theres no turning back. So the night progressed I took a bath thinking that would calm them down and than laid in bed and watched the news with Dave. During the news is when I think I realized that these were really starting to get painful, but I could put up with them. Well the news ended and I looked at Dave and said I think we better go to the hospital this isn't getting any better. He called the neighbor to come sit with the kids till my mom arrived and I went to use the bathroom and get my things. I was lucky to make it out of the bathroom down the stairs and into the car. He drove us to the hospital I would think in 15 minutes flat, speeding the whole way and me saying just go to utah valley we aren 't going to make it. Because at that moment I realized I felt the urge to push, and told myself you aren't having this baby in the car. So we arrive at the hospital and they had a wheelchair waiting. I must of looked like I was miserable because the guy ran with me in the chair from ER to labor and delivery. Now the nurse is telling me we have to get you out of the chair and into the bed so I can check you lets do it in between your contractions. I simply laugh and think yah right. I managed to make it to the bed where she said I need to check you to see where you are at. I'm thinking in my head Ok I usually arrive and I am a 4 or 5 and than they break my water and give me my epidural and I sit back and wait 30 minutes or less till I have a baby. Did I mention I go really fast once my water is broke! She checks me and than informed me I was a 9+ to which my response is WHAT? and than asks if I normally have an epidural, YAH. I don't profess to be a hero and endure pain by any means. Where are the drugs? I then realize while they are trying to get the epidural in, that it isn't going to happen. You would laugh at the sight of me holding onto the bed rail and telling Dave just make it go away, the pain! At that point I looked at him and said I need to push which alarms the nurse who then looks down and realizes the head is there. She tells the anatheseoligis (?) your done. Rolls me onto my back and that it when he head really starts to appear, at which I am told don't push or you are going to tear. Which takes everthing you've got not to push when thats all you want to do. It wasn't but a second later and she was born. And I can't even begin to tell you what its like after she was out, all the pain was just simply gone. Within seconds you go from feeling everything and than nothing. It was the wierdest yet greatest feeling to know it was all over with. So there you have it in a nutshell. The crazy part about all of it, was as we were getting out of the van I remember taking one last look at the clock and remembering it read 11:53 pm friday night. Shelbie was born at 12:14 am Saturday morning. so all of that happened in a matter of about 15 minutes by the time they had me in the room and on the bed. Lets just say had we waited any longer she just might of been born in the car or at home. Thankfully neither of that happened and she was born at the hospital. Other than a speedy deliver, everything went smooth and she is healthy and now 5 weeks old. I can't believe how fast time flys by, but when you are busy with two little ones you don't have much time to think about anything else. Brayden and Shelbie are 1 year and six days apart. They keep me moving and are the highlights of each day! So here are a few pictures from the last couple of weeks. We also took all the kids and had there pictures done and will post those later! So I thought I took more pictures, apparently not due to the fact that our camera broke in the middle of Shelbie taking her first bath I went to zoom in, and the lens snapped inside. Anyway the few pictures we have captured. This is what you get with a new baby and Brayden when you attempt to nurse! He isn't to fond of the idea of me feeding her. And this is what you get when you have parents helping! A reality of what its like when both want a bottle at the same time!

4 comments:

Ashcraft Adventures said...

Wow, what an exciting evening! That picture of Shelbie in the roses is absolutely adorable. And Maggie is getting so tall!!! Has she outgrown Brodie yet??? They are getting sooo big! What a beautiful family!! Kollin was looking at the pictures with me and said that he really missed Brodie.
Life is NUTS with 4, but I guess we all get used to it:) We look forward to seeing you guys in August. Congratulations again!

Cynthia said...

What a crazy delivery. So glad you made it to the hospital in time!
Your children's pictures are beautiful!

Bobbi said...

Congrats on your newest addition! She is absolutely beautiful! I love your delivery story. That's how I like to have babies...fast and drug-free! Way to go, woman! You're awesome!!! It's fun to see you and your beautiful family. Congrats again!

Stacy said...

I love those pictures!! Cute kids! I forget how young Brayden is. He probably doesn't appreciate you taking care of that other baby!